A gentle giant






By Aymara Lorente 


In memory of my brother 


I believe human beings are unique long before they are born. Once they are in the open world, their personality starts to show immediately. Everything we do as babies reflects our true nature. But the environment and the people around us tend to modify and change our ways, precisely because we are different from everyone else. Therefore, to connect with others we adjust, and also try to make others adapt to us. Is the reality of living in a family, in a society. We are not isolated or alone. However, it takes a lot of molding to change what we bring to the universe. Genes do not mutate so easily or quickly, but behavior and attitude are more easily altered, mainly because, in some cases, a particular person doesn't have a good character foundation, strength, or will power to keep afloat what makes him or her a true original. 

My brother, like everyone of us, was unique. Coming from the same mother and father, we were different, and I think that is good. I remember the first thing he did when he got a present, let's say a bicycle, was to take it apart, and later put everything back in its place, even the occasional "extra" screw.  I gather he wanted to know deeply how objects or machines worked. I never did that, to the contrary, I tried to preserve the original state of everything I got, keep them together, neat. Well, he was an engineer, I studied Art History. That explains things.  However, I feel our common features were much more important because they were about personal believes, manners, and respect.

I remember that, not long ago, something related to Art came up in one of our conversations, and he told me, with a sad tone, that he didn't know much about Art. At that moment some images from our youth appeared in front of me. I saw him going with a couple of friends, all of them around 10 or 12 years old, to an academy for painting classes every afternoon after school; I even remembered his teacher's name. On the other hand, after dinner he used to go to play chess at the local club, behaving more like his own self; always inclined to spend his time with science, analytics, and strategy. And he was very good at chess, he enjoyed playing it a lot. The science part of the brain won him over, that's why he didn't dedicate a lot of time, later on in life, to things like Art. But, apparently, he regretted it a little bit.

We had the great luck of coming from very sensitive, good hearted, relaxed, loyal, and honest parents, and family in general. Particularly our maternal grandmother, who helped greatly with our upbringing, was wise, strong, and caring.  My brother was exactly like them, most of all, he loved and respected people. He helped everyone around him, and never asked for anything in return. The older I get, the most I appreciate these qualities. And, sadly, those traits are rapidly disappearing around us. Most individuals are pushy, manipulating, and insensitive, although they proclaim just the opposite. 

It's very rare to find nowadays somebody like my brother. That's why so many people he touched in life adored him, and still we all do. He passed away, suddenly, this year; but will never be forgotten. We lost a gentle and kind giant.




Comments

  1. Beautiful ❤️ Proud to be her daughter. He will always live in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

El mundo irreal